Sunday, May 30, 2010

Florence! Anghiari! Arezzo!

Get ready, this is a LOONNNGGGG post.


So Thursday we traveled from Sansepolcro to Florence.  We took a bus and a train to get there and the same on the return trip.  As soon as we left the train station, Dr. Goode was telling us to take pictures of various buildings.  It was already clear to me how historical this town is and how much of an influence it has had in other areas.  We were able to stop at the Duomo, Baptistry, and the tower while we walked to the Bargello museum. 


The architecture and design of these buildings is a wonder.  They took so long to be built and are so carefully cared for.  I think that coming from America where very few buildings are cared for in such a way, really helpes me to appreciate the beauty behind the buildings in Florence. 


Our experience inside the Bargello museum was very interesting.  I mean we were ushered in the back door instead of having to wait in line to go in - all because of Meredith College.   I was really interested in seeing and learning about the works of Michelangelo; we got to see many of his incomplete works.  The guide(who was a 35 year old attractive Greek man who spoke English with the prettiest accent - I LOVED the way he said Leonard da Vinci) was very informative in telling us about the history of each sculpture.  In the chapel were beautiful frescoes including the oldest known image of Dante (like as in Dante's Inferno).  That was pretty cool - I have a picture, you can see it when I get home.


As part of our prep for going, I had to briefly research the Santa Croce.  In case you don't know - many famous Italians and honorary Italians, including Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli and Dante are either buried there (in Dante's case there is a memorial).  I really wanted to be able to go in and explore but when we were on the way it started to rain.  It is definitely on my list of places to go see again at some point in my life.  We even stopped and got this nice German man to take our picture. 




Okay so I have to share this picture of part of our lunch.  This was seriously the best bruschetta I have EVER had.  And it made a fun picture!




We also went to see the fake David statue before heading back to Sansepolcro.  The train ride back was fun too - Ari and I got to sit with some very interesting Italians. But that's a story for another time.


Saturday was another travel day.  We went a little closer to home, visiting Anghiari and Arezzo.  We went into various chruches and small local museums in both cities.  Google image Anghiari and you will see the village on the hill.  And yes - we climbed all around that place.  But the view was amazing.  Pictures will follow on a later post.  Arezzo was a bit more non-hilly. We did get to see Piero della Francesca's Legand of the True Cross.  Google that too if you don't know what it is.  Part of the different sections of fresoces is missing.  It really is an amazing thing to see.  No pictures of that though - it is under super climate control and light control - meaning no flash! Our professor did mention that there will come a day when this fresco will be so faded, it will be impossible to see.  Apparently, the restoration and cleaning of various frescoes is a HUGE debate in Italy.  And I can see why. 


Today was a day full of classes but we did get to go to the Flower Festival (first time it was held).  In the past couple of days, I have gotten the chance to talk with Hannah, Lizzy, Mom and Dad, and my Grandparents. It was such a treat to hear/see all of their voices/faces.


I have literally taken 420 pictures since I got here.  Most of which are of buildings and landscapes for my class but still pretty.  I'm really enjoying getting to experiment with my camera and try and get some artsy shots.  And since tomorrow we leave for our first travel break, I'm sure there will be more pictures to come!  I'm off to Verona for Monday night and Venice Tuesday-Thursday! I'll post again once we get back for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment