Thursday, May 5, 2011

Three.

3 years ago I was moving out of my freshman dorm. 
3 months ago I was taking the exit exam. 
3 days ago I was getting ready to take my last college exam. 
3 hours ago I was asleep. 
3 hours from now I'll be at a fitting for my MOH dress for Liz's wedding. 
3 days from now I'll be graduating from Meredith College. 


The number 3 has always been my favorite number.  I'm not sure why, maybe it is because it is a capital E backwards. Maybe it has something to do with the Holy Trinity.  Maybe it's because on the third day, God created sea and land and vegetation. And without all that where would we be? Maybe it is because three is an ODD number, and I do love those Odds.  Maybe its because I can at least count to three in all those foreign languages I learned while in school (that would be Latin, Spanish, French and Italian in case you were wondering). Who knows? All I know is that in icebreakers if you asked me what my favorite number was, I would say 3.  


Really all of that is irrelevant.  Except for the fact that in 3 days (count them: uno, due, tre - there's that Italian for you) I will be graduating from college.  I will be saying goodbye to the place that has come to be home and to the people who have come to be sisters. 


At this point, I'm not so sure I'm ready. I'm not sure I'll ever be ready.  Don't get me wrong, I could not take another test or write another paper for the rest of my life and be a happy girl. But I'm not ready to pack up my things and leave campus. Especially since I am one of the many who are unsure about what happens come May 9th. 


We are entering the real world. The world of salaries, bills, weddings, births, reunions, vacations we have to pay for, house buying and so much more.  And we may not be ready, but we don't have a choice. And yet, I bet we all still do it with as much grace and poise as we can. 


I'm sure there will be nights where we hate our jobs because they don't pay us enough so we can pay the bills.  Those will be the nights we pull out our Cornhuskin' DVDs or our Class Day pictures or we look down on our right hand and remember that everyday is a gift. And everyday ends so that a new one can begin. We will find ourselves smiling without even realizing it as we think about that very last 4 am Cornhuskin' practice. And those bills will start to not look so bad. Hopefully. 


And then in five years, heck probably in November, we will back.  To see each other again and catch up. And we will tell each other only about the good days because we won't even remember the bad ones. 


Meredith has been the perfect place for me.  I learned. I grew up. I acted goofy. I figured out who I am as a person.  As I'm getting ready to leave, I have no regrets in coming here.  This place, this Wonderland, has become home. The next three days are busy and hectic. And they will be over before I know it.  So here is to making the most of these days and enjoying every last second. 


Congratulations Class of 2011! 


"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment